Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Module 2 Posting

In the posting Kerr asked the question’” Should we stick to the -isms or be practical and just cherry pick different useful ideas out of the various theories” (Kerr, 2007)?  I think as teachers we are left with no other option but to be “cherry pickers”.  Children come to school now with multiple learning styles and teachers are challenged with accommodating those differences. 
I do agree that the –isms are necessary.  I see them as the foundations to the different strategies and instructional designs we currently use in the classrooms.  Here is another way to look at it.  Think about building a house, you cannot just start installing the roof or attaching the windows and doors without first creating a foundation that will hold up the house fixtures.   Theories are the foundation to the learning.  They are necessary in order for the current instructional designs and strategies to exist. 
This time of the school year is very hectic for teachers and students.  I think it is safe for me to say that almost all of Georgia is probably preparing for the CRCT (The Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests ) test.  This is a statewide standardized test that is used to measure the students’ knowledge on academic content.  I am mentioning this test because I believe that it goes along with comment posted that “Actions which are followed by rewards are often repeated” ( Kerr, 2007). Well looking at it from a teacher’s perspective if the students pass the CRCT the teacher keeps their job.  If the teacher does not then a consequence is passed down.  The reward is that the teacher gets to keep thier job, receive praise, and will continue to work hard each year to make sure that the students pass. 
References:
Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html
Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and about: Discussion on educational schools of thought [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.kaplaneduneering.com/kappnotes/index.php/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational/

9 comments:

  1. LaTonya,
    LaTonya,

    I don't think as teachers we are purposely cherry picking even though at times it might seem that way. As I said before, our philosophy leads us in the direction we believe is best for our students. The “isms” do play a role, but it is not a one size fits all any of the time.

    This is probably the first time I have studied these theories as closely as I have now. Maybe it is because I have much more experience, or maybe it is because I am a more mature, but I do realize that learning theories had always played a crucial role even when I was too immature in my practice to recognize it.

    ~Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I didn't mean to type your name twice. There is no meaning to it exept that I am super tired!

    ~Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wanda,
    Because I am equally tired, I probably would not have noticed :-). I agree with you that our philosophies lead us so that we can provide our students the best education and to do that we have to “pick” from all avenues until we find what is right for our populations of students. So being a cherry picker as Kerr mention is not a negative thing, it is what we do as educators.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LaTonya,

    Being tired, I am trying very hard to not type your name twice, too! LOL

    I enjoyed reading your blog very much. I agree with you that teachers are, by necessity, "cherry pickers". There isn't a one-size-fits all learning theory. We always have to consider many variables when determining how to teach: prior knowledge, time, interest, motivation, skill level, and so on.

    I also agree that the _isms are important as a foundation for education. Here in Texas, like you in Georgia, are currently in the final frantic throes of preparation for the state tests (TAKS, here). It is sometimes difficult to remember the _isms when our administrators and lawmakers only determine our effectiveness based on a single multiple choice test. How do you combat this? I know I simply push it to the back of my mind, reminding myself that if I am teaching effectively, my students should have the skills needed to succeed on the test. Whether they do or not...is in their hands - not mine.

    Good blog!

    Christine Moore

    ReplyDelete
  5. LaTonya,

    I liked your analogy of building a house. I would add to it, that when building your foundation, you need to take into account the ground upon which you are building. Building in sand requires different considerations than building upon granite. The level of the water table will have an effect on the best types of building materials to use. As well as the geography of the area: prone to flooding, hurricanes, drought, etc. Therefore theories would have to take into account the basics of your students. Like your approach to teaching 2nd graders would be vastly different than teaching high school students.

    I wanted to comment about your last paragraph and teachers keeping their jobs if students pass the test. How do you feel about that criterion? For all a teacher can do, you cannot force a student to learn. You cannot persuade or bribe them either. As the saying goes, “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink”. No matter how good the water is.

    -Christine Rand

    ReplyDelete
  6. LaTonya,

    Hello fellow Georgia teacher! I also related to the quote, “Actions which are followed by rewards are often repeated” (Kerr 2007). In our school we have been doing Study Island and OAS (CRCT Online Practice) to get ready for the CRCT. This helps engage the students and prep them for the CRCT at the same time. I reward high scores with Dragon Dollars, which they get to spend in a store on Fridays. This helps them take the test prep seriously and prepare them for the CRCT.

    You and I seem to be in the same "boat" and I can't wait to talk and learn with you more throughout this course!

    Lauren Dart

    References:
    Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren,
    My school utilizes Study Island and OAS also, but I like the fact that you are incorporating the classroom store as a reward. Great way to reinforce a desired beahavior.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine R,
    You are absolutely correct that we cannot force students to learn nor can we persuade or bribe them. However, the individuals that came up with the rule about "Accountability" seem to have a different perspective. I think that this rule should not apply to all schools in the same way. I think that schools should be looked at on a case by case situation. I work in a Title I school and the mindset of the students is very different from the mindset of the students that attend school in the district's more fluent areas. I am one of those teachers that has to pull lots of tricks from my hat in order to get the students to learn or even participate. My students have so many other issues going on in their lives that sometimes school is just a safe haven. But like I mentioned to Christine M, at the end of the day I am “Accountable" for the passing and failing scores of my students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christine M,
    I applaud you for not letting testing take control of you and your class. As much as I would like to push the thought of standardized testing to the back of my mind, I find that I cannot simply because no matter how I sugar coat it at the end of the day the results will have an impact on my students and my position.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete