Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Module 6

During my first year teaching, my mentor gave me a quote from an unknown author and it stated “All students can learn but not in the same way or on the same day”.  This quote has been the focal point of my teaching career.  When I get to a point of frustration, I remind myself that all my students are capable of learning the information that I present to them, I might need to change the way that I am delivering it.    
Technology is continuously changing the way that teachers deliver instruction and students learn information.  However, technology is not just making an impact in education it has changed the way that we function in our everyday living.  For example, now a person can bank online, self check out in the grocery stores, and keep in contact with family and friends through social networks and Skype.  Our students are growing up in a technology centered generation.  With that being said, what is critical and non-negotiable is preparation for the world beyond elementary school.  As an educator, I have to stay abreast of these constant changes in order to better prepare my students for the world outside of school.  My role as an educator is important.  I would like to take more of an of a constructivist approach to learning.    Anderson (2008, p. 20) writes that according to Ertmer and Newby (1993).  Constructivist strategies can be used to teach higher-level thinking that promotes personal meaning.  I have to make sure I’m providing opportunities for my students to engage in technology.  This can occur as an integral piece to my lessons/ activities or as student created activity.  In addition, I have to become comfortable with letting my students take the lead in the classroom and incorporate their knowledge and experiences into the learning environment.  But the bottom line is that the technology tools and skills learned need to be applicable to real world experiences.  Students need to understand how the skills they are learning will help them be successful in the world outside of school. 


Anderson, T. (Ed.). (2008). The theory and practice of online learning. (2nd ed.). Edmonton, AB: Athabasca University Press.

1 comment:

  1. LaTonya,

    It was funny reading your blog….I could have written it myself! Our elementary classrooms must mirror one another. I find that I am a combination of theories; constructivist, connectivist, sometimes behaviorist, and cognitivist. I want them to do it, understand it enough to extrapolate what they know and connect it to what they don’t know, to build upon what they know, and know where to find the information they need when they need it.

    I tell my students constantly that my job is to make my job obsolete; meaning, I want them to know enough about computers and technology that they can function quite well on their own. Without me! They laugh when I say it, but then I hear them say, “Wait! Don’t tell me! I think I can figure it out!” That is music to my ears!

    Good luck in your future endeavors!!

    -Christine R.

    ReplyDelete